Welcome to my obsession, this is my blog to showcase my sports memorabilia collection. All the autographs are 'in-person' which makes it more interesting! Some great NHL'ers are from our area and come 'home' in the spring. Feel free to use this site for reference for your autographs. I am not an expert but all my stuff is "in-person" so it can be a great reference point. And please drop me a comment!

My YouTube Channel

I always have my video camera on, have a look at my YouTube Channel. Click Here for some interesting sports stories and videos. Mike Babcock Day videos in there! Just added, Johnny Bower Videos!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Johnny Bower and Russ Courtnall Stories

The Pink Warrior Classic had a different method of delivering the speakers for the night. Kelly Gatzke, the PWC Founder, facilitated the first series of questions then the audience asked some. A few stories were really funny so as always, I recorded some and will retell some. I will post one everyday for the next five days.
The first one that comes to mind was a story Courtnall told. In his fist year or two as the Hound Line, Wendel Clark came to him before a game in Detroit. Wendel said, "If something happens and I'm not there in 3 secs, you're on your own."
So the faceoff was at center ice and Wendel was against Bob Probert, Leeman grabbed someone, and Courtnall with a rookie named Basil McRae. Courtnall said Wendel was really hammering Probert and Mcrae had a chock hold on Courtnall. He said he was turning purple and could not breathe. He heard Clark yell at McRae as he was punching Probert, "Basil, if you don't let him go, I'm going to come over there next!"
Courtnall said McRae threw his hands up in the air instantly and wanted no part of Clark. He added when Wendel had a healthy back, he was by far one of the toughest ever.

No comments: